City Veterinarians League, CVL
The City Veterinarians League was established in 1975; this was headed by Dr. Nestor R. Alonso, UP-CVS 1937. The set of officers for 1975-1976 and 1976-1977 as listed in the 43rd and 44th PVMA Souvenir Program of the annual convention were Dr. Nestor R. Alonso, UP-CVS 1937 as president, Dr. Pacifico C. Rubio, UP-CVM 1951 as Vice-President, Dr. Manuel N. Lazo, UP-CVM 1965 as Secretary, Dr. Rustica V Sarmiento, UP-CVM 1965 as Treasurer, Dr. Mamerto A. Bince, Jr., UP-CVM 1963 as Business Manager, and Dr. Anselmo C. Ismael, UP-CVM 1966 as PRO. Dr. Anselmo C. Ismael was president for 1978-1979. The last president listed was Dr. Nestor Alonso for 1979-1980, 1980-1981 and 1981-1982.
The Philippine Society of Veterinary Diagnosticians, PSVD
The first specialized group but without a Specialty Board for board certification was the Philippine Society of Veterinary Diagnosticians organized in a meeting in 1980 March 28 at the L.Q. Restaurant. The officers were Dr. Raul V. Baron, UP-CVM 1968 as president, Dr. Asuncion A. Gonzales, UP-CVM 1972 as Secretary-Treasurer, and Dr. Ruben M. Ferriols, UP-CVM 1979 as PRO. The other charter members were Dr. Veronica SJ. Alejandro, UP-CVM 1978, Dr. Eliseo S. Contreras, UP-CVM 1950, Dr. Cresenciana Z. Rodil-Timbol, UP-CVM 1964, Dr. Leofina P. Balaoing, UP-CVM 1975, Dr. Vicente L. Sicam, UP-CVM 1971, Dr. Eliseo M. dela Cruz, UP-CVM 1970, Dr. Wilfredo C. Conde, AUF-IVM 1974, Dr. Mary Ann P. Pelagio, UP-CVM 1979, and Dr. Josephine R. Lagata, UP-CVM 1977.
The Society was first listed with the PVMA in 1981 with Dr. Raul V. Baron, UP-CVM 1968 as the president. The last listing of the societies' officers in the PVMA Souvenir Programs was in the 52nd Annual Convention in 1985.
The Veterinary Quarantine Officers of the Philippines, VQOP
Another affiliate of the PVMA was the Veterinary Quarantine Officers of the Philippines established in 1986. The 1986-1987 officers were Dr. Leartes L. Tabotabo, UP-CVM 1970 as president, Dr. Pastor S. Cruz, UP-CVM 1959 as Vice-President for Luzon, Dr. Oscar L. Limoso, UP-CVM 1969 for Visayas and Dr. Carlos B. Mendoza, UP-CVM 1974 for Mindanao, Dr. Pepito U. De Dote, UP-CVM 1963 as Secretary,/Treasurer, Dr. Salvador S. Madarang, AUF-IVM 1970, as Auditor, Dr. Jose H. Losa, UP-CVM 1976 as PRO, and Dr. Ricardo F. Marero, UP-CVM 1970 as Adviser. It was listed in the PVMA Souvenir Programs up to 1990.
Veterinary Practitioners Association of the Philippines, VPAP
In 1972, a group of private practitioners organized the Veterinary Private Practitioners Association. However, by the second meeting in 1972 April 5, the group decided to change the name to Veterinary Practitioners Association of the Philippines, VPAP so as not to limit membership to private practitioners only and therefore included veterinarians in the drug industry, in other areas and in government. The association was incorporated and registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission in 1973 June 03. The incorporators were Dr. Eulogio Noel R. Alojipan, Jr, UP-CVM 1963, Dr. Enrique T. Carlos, UP-CVM 1965, Dr. Jose A. Navarro, UP-CVM 1970, Dr. Priscillo M. Nepomuceno, UP-CVM 1962, Dr. Mario A. Parreno, UP-CVM 1964, Dr. Delfin O. Tumibay, UP-CVM 1962, Dr. Oscar R. Dizon, UP-CVM 1963, Dr. Jose V. Valenzuela, Dr. Perfecto L. Montances, UPCVM, 1968, and Dr. Mauro M. Tajon, UP-CVM 1961.The group initially and for about two years met at the Dog and Cat Hospital of Dr. Enrique R. Carlos located at 185 Marquez de Comillas, Ermita, Manila. This was a meeting on the first Wednesday of each month which started at 7:00 pm to end up by 10:00 pm because of the military curfew brought about in 1972 September 21 by Martial Law of the Republic of the Philippines. This was especially crucial since some members, Dr. Perfecto L. Montances UP-CVM 1968, Dr. Florante R. Calvan, UP-CVM 1965, and Dr. Eulogio Noel R. Alojipan, Jr, UP-CVM 1963 were residing as far as Novaliches. This was a dinner meeting and initially included the wives. Dr. Rhodora G. Siapno-Carlos UP-CVM 1966 was in-charge of dinner, refreshments, and reception.
The first officers were Dr. Enrique T. Carlos, UPCVM 1965 as president, Dr. Ramon E. Canso, UP-CVM 1971 as Vice-President, Dr. Delfin O. Tumibay, UP-CVM 1962 as Secretary, Dr. Oscar R. Dizon, UP-CVM, 1963 as Treasurer, Dr. Jose A. Navarro, UP-CVM, 1970 as Member, Board of Directors.
In 1973 May 17 and 18 the first convention of the VPAP was held at the Hotel Intercontinental Manila located in Makati, Metro Manila. The association led the way in the veterinary profession by holding its conventions in five star hotels. The feeling then was that such an endeavor was unaffordable by the association and the delegates. There were 100 participants. The conference fee was P100.00 and sponsors contributed P200.00. The holding of simultaneous lectures was also initiated; although some members were complaining that they wanted to listen to all lectures. Since then the PVMA and other professional organizations started having 2 to 3 simultaneous lectures. The guest speaker in the first conference was the Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine Salvador H. Escudero III, UP-CVM 1963 who authoritatively spoke on the theme Excellence in Veterinary Medicine. The VPAP celebrated its 32nd Annual Scientific Conference in 2004 June 10 and 11.
Veterinary Womens League, VWL
The Veterinary Women's League was established in 1973. It was affiliated with the PVMA in 1974 December 14. The set of officers in 1974 to 1975 and 1975 to 1976 were Dr. Yolanda L. Derilo, UP-CVM 1968 as president, Dr. Carmencita M. Directo-Mateo, UP-CVM 1970 as secretary, Dr. Rhodora G. Siapno-Carlos, UP-CVM 1966 as Treasurer, Dr. Lucita B. Sable-Salvador, AUF-IVM 1970 as Business Manager and Dr. Zenaida V. Corpus, UPCVM, 1958 as PRO. The set of officers for 1976-1977 were Dr. Rhodora G. Siapno-Carlos, UP-CVM 1966 as President, Dr. Consuelo S. Baluyot-Bain, UP-CVM 1969 as Vice-President, Dr. Carmencita V. Yason, UP-CVM 1971 as Secretary, Dr. Ma. Fe N. Bustamante DVM 1974, as Treasurer, and Dr. Tomasa C. Balassu, UP-CVM 1972 as PRO.
Its constitution was amended in 1984 February 16 during the presidency of Josephine O. Encarnacion-Joya, UP-CVM 1979; the name of the organization was changed to the Philippine Veterinary Women's Association. The term of office of officers was extended to two years. Dr. Ruby Sue A. Mordeno-Mangalindan, UP-CVM 1980 was president from 1984-1986 and Dr. Edna Zenaida A. Velarde-Villacorte, UP-CVM 1978 from 1986 to 1988. The name of the association was last listed in PVMA Souvenir Programs in 1990.
The Davao Veterinary Private Practitioners Association, DVPPA.
The DVPPA was established in 1984. The officers were Dr. Arsenio A. Braga, UP-CVM 1962 as President, Dr. Gregorio C. Montano, UP-CVM 1964 as Vice-President, Dr. Darla Claire B. Reyes, GAUF-IVM 1980 as Secretary, Dr. Robert M. Punio, DVM 1981 as Treasurer, Dr. Dominador F. Martinez, DVM 1981 as Auditor, and Dr. Hospicio C. Conanan, Jr. UP-CVM 1977 as Director.
This is a very active group which had two significant achievements. The officers of DVPPA filed a case of dishonorable conduct in the Board of Veterinary Medicine and Board of Pharmacy against Dr. Antonio B. Acosta, UP-CVS 1938 and Ms. Lourdes Go-Bangayan, a Pharmacist. In 1986 January 21 both Boards suspended the two individuals from the practice of their profession for a period of 6 months. Ms. Lourdes Go-Bangayan was found illegally practicing Veterinary Medicine and Dr. Antonio Acosta was found guilty of Dishonorable Conduct on allowing his license to be used on Bangayan in the operations of the Bark Animal Health Center in Davao City.
The Philippine Animal Hospital Association, PAHA
The Philippine Animal Hospital Association was established in 1978 during the start of an epizootic in dogs of a mysterious gastroenteritis causing death of puppies within 6 hrs from the time it was presented for examination. This was the start of the Canine Parvovirus Epizootic which took some time before scientific references were available; the initial source of information in the country being an article in a popular monthly magazine from Canada.
The Charter members of the association were the Cabanlig Veterinary Clinic represented by Dr. Jose Ned R. Cabanlig, AUF-IVM 1969, the Dizon Veterinary Clinic represented by Dr. Oscar R. Dizon, UP-CVM 1963 the Carlos Dog and Cat Hospital represented by Dr. Enrique R. Carlos, UP-CVS 1946 the Cortez Animal Hospital represented by Dr. Francisco S. Cortez, UP-CVS 1946 the Makati Dog and Cat Hospital represented by Dr. Enrique T. Carlos, UP-CVM 1965 the Parreño Veterinary Clinic represented by Dr. Mario A. Parreño, UP-CVM 1964 the Saint Bernard Animal Clinic represented by Dr. Jose V. Valenzuela, and the Veterinary Clinic BF Homes represented by Dr. Jesus G. Lareza as signing the declaration of principles.
The first set of officers for the year 1978, 1979 and 1980 were Dr. Enrique T. Carlos as President, Dr. Jose Ned R. Cabanlig as Vice-president, Dr. Jesus G. Lareza as Secretary, Dr. Oscar R. Dizon as Treasurer, Dr. Mario A Parreño as PRO, Dr. Jose V. Valenzuela as Auditor, Dr. Francisco S. Cortez, as Director, and Dr. Enrique R. Carlos as Ex-Officio.
Dr. Enrique T. Carlos, the PAHA president negotiated for the affiliation of PAHA with the PVMA in 1980 July 8 through a letter to Dr. Rolendio A. Roderos, president PVMA. This was the day of the PVMA Board meeting; a PVMA Resolution 80-81-04 dated the same day approved the affiliation. One of the activities in 1980 was the voluntary accreditation of veterinary clinics and hospitals.